The RSSA (Radiological Society of South Africa) is the Professional Association of Radiologists in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Our promise is to provide radiologists with imaging standards, protocols, ethical guidelines and training to ensure appropriate imaging and the best outcomes for their patients.
The RSSA has a significant advocacy role and interacts with the following bodies by attending international and local conferences/seminars and meetings on a one to one basis:
- International Radiology Societies
- National Department of Health
- Health Professions Council of South Africa
- Council for Medical Schemes
- Board of Health Care Funders
- Individual Medical Schemes
- Hospital Association
- Individual Hospital Groups
- Compensation Commission.
- Competition Commission Market Health Inquiry
- South African Medical Association
- South African Private Practice Forum
- Colleges of Medicine of South Africa
We continue to comment on Health Matters to the DOH and HPCSA. We provide opinions and guidelines when required.
We advise members on medico-legal issues
We have worked with the Council of Medical schemes on its PMB review.
RSSA is represented on the SAMA Private Practice Committee.
RSSA works hard to ensure Radiology is visible in the healthcare environment both to increase awareness of the profession and what it does but also to protect our interests.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Educational benefits to members include:
- Free subscription to the SAJR (South African Journal of Radiology) https://sajr.org.za– as well as access to sponsorship to complete SAJR CPD courses free of charge.
- Access to International articles - ARRS / BIR articles
- Direct notification of awards available to RSSA and its members
- Discounted local congress fees as well as the electronic provision of Congress Material, usually available irrespective of attendance
- Since 2018, we have been offering virtual congresses with CPD points, both real-time during the event and online after the congress, making the congress available to all our members.
- Information relating to fellowships and programmes.
- Discounted access to RSSA organised:
- Duke Review Course
- Webinars (Free of Charge)
- StatDX (discounted to Registrars and Academic Consultants)- Diagnostic Decision Support System for Radiologists http://www.statdx.com/
This is the Continued Medical Development Arm of the RSSA overseen by our CME Chairperson and Committee and is actively involved as follows:
- Organising world-class congresses with a myriad of International and local specialist speakers and workshops.
- Co-operation with universities and the Colleges of Medicine SA and other entities to assist with the development of a unified curriculum. Meetings with Academic Heads.
- The CME can offer support to RSSA members participating in International meetings (reviewed individually on a per-application basis)
- Compiling Annual Travel and Poster Awards for RSSA members.
- Securing International and Local Specialists to present webinars (at no cost to RSSA members)
- The organisation of CPD points awarded for attendance of webinars / Congresses
- Webinar content available to members post-webinar via eCPD website
- SAJR – Quizzes and Prizes
- CME coordinate and invite Visiting Professors annually from overseas academic institutions/hospitals to visit South African learning institutions and perform lectures and training
- Registrars in training have complimentary membership to:
- RSNA (Radiological Society of North America) – includes free access to Radiology, Radiographics and all educational resources
As you can see, there is a wealth of ever-increasing benefits to joining the RSSA.
The RSSA has an excellent reputation of uniting radiologists and looking after their interests, and we, therefore, wish to emphasise the greater the support, the more effective and influential the Society will be.